Saturday, November 9, 2013

Reminiscing

Four years ago today Michael and I both left our homes bright and early and headed off to the Army. Michael in Kentucky and I in Arizona left this morning having no idea what was going to happen in four years. 
A lot has changed and many things are different then how I pictured them happening. For instance, when I left this morning four years ago I did not picture myself being married let alone have 2 kids. I pictured myself getting out of the military, with today being my last day. I pictured myself moving back home to AZ, going to school, just living the life of a young 23 year old. NOPE that is not at all what happened. 

This morning four years ago I cried, my dad cried, everyone cried. I left, got on a plane and headed to South Carolina. It was the hardest most stressful day of my life and I wouldn't take it back for anything. I was headed into a new life, one on my own. No more mommy and daddy to take care of me, it was just me and I was scared.
I loved the military and HATED it all at the same time. It taught me so much and even though I cut my time short I learned so much and still use those things I learned in my everyday life. 

Every single day I think about what would my life be like if I had not got discharged 3 years early. I think about where the military would have taken my family and what it would have put us through. I do sometimes regret the decision I made, the one where I got out way to early, but then I think about how much better my life is now that I'm not tied to the Army. I am able to stay home with my kids, I can leave whenever I want, and most importantly we make significantly more money then if I had stayed in. 

Even though I was only in the Army for a year I will never ever forget the experience I went through and the friends I made. I thank the Army everyday for giving me Michael and giving me my children. Who knows where I would be if I had not joined and left this morning four years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment